~^Angel's^~ Cornbread Muffins
Why I Love This Recipe
I found this recipe, which was pretty basic at the time, and added to it what I thought was appropriate. There was someone I cooked for who enjoyed a more sweeter cornbread at the time, so I had to find the right sweet and salty to satisfy us both.
Serve on the side to a bowl of "Seasoned Pinto Beans" or use in a "Cornbread Dressing" recipe!
Ingredients You'll Need
1c Yellow (or white) Cornmeal
1c All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar (or 3 1/2 Tbsp for a sweeter bread)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Paprika
1/8 tsp Seasoned Salt
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Margarine, softened OR Vegetable Oil
Vegetable Shortening- to grease pan
1) Preheat oven to 400°F. Well grease a **12 cup standard sized muffin tin with vegetable shortening; set aside.
2) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and seasonings.
3) Add to bowl, margarine (or oil) and milk. Whisk well. Lastly, beat in eggs.
4) Spoon or carefully pour batter into each prepared muffin cup, about half way full- topping off any extra batter afterwards.
5) Bake for 30-35 minutes until muffins turn golden brown and are cooked through. (If baking in a toaster oven, only 18-20 minutes is necessary, and you can broil the tops for about 3 minutes to brown.)
6) After removing from the oven, allow muffins to cool a few minutes. Then, use a butter knife to loosen cornbread from the pan if necessary; remove from pan and allow to cool on a wire bake rack.
**You can also choose to use a greased,8x6x2" glass bake dish, and just cut the cornbread into 12 squares.