turkey stuffed peppers
"looks great,taste great"Serves 4 | Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 1 hour
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
nonfat cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
½ cup diced onion
3 tablespoons diced fresh jalapeno pepper, or to taste
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups frozen cauliflower rice (such as Green Giant)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
½ cup water
2 teaspoons sambal oelek chili paste
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large bell peppers, any color - cut in half lengthwise, cored, and seeded
4 (1 inch) cubes Colby-Jack cheese
⅓ cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
4 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
8 slices pickled jalapeno peppers (Optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in ground turkey, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook and stir until turkey browns and vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain grease from the skillet. Add frozen riced cauliflower, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, chili paste, salt, and pepper; stir until well incorporated. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Place bell pepper halves in the prepared baking dish. Place 1 Colby-Jack cheese cube in each pepper half, and fill with turkey mixture. Spoon remaining turkey mixture into the dish around the peppers.
4. Cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle each pepper with shredded Colby-Jack cheese. Bake, uncovered, until peppers are soft and cheese has melted, about 10 minutes more.
5. To serve, spoon a little turkey mixture onto a plate, and place a bell pepper half on top of it. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream and 2 jalapeno slices.
Pairs Well With
pairs well with chicken