Spicy Tuna Ghetto Sushi Bowl
Why I Love This Recipe
I ALWAYS crave my FAVORITE sushi from my FAVORITE spot on Mondays, unfortunately they're closed on Mondays so I had to get REALLY creative to satisfy my urge. Although I know how to roll my own sushi my Ghetto Sushi Bowl takes 15 minutes & I get the equivalent of 4 sushi rolls.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 Can Chunk light tuna in water
1/2 tsp Toasted sesame oil
Chopped red onion (your discretion)
1/2 Chopped avocado** (optional)
1/2 Carrot julienned or 1/4 Cup of Shredded carrots
1/4 Cup of diced green onions
1/4 Cup of julienned cucumbers
1 tbl Light Mayo or Smart Start Mayo (only 10 calories per serving)
1 tsp of Masago or Salmon roe (optional)
1/4 tsp Sriracha Chili (Asian hot sauce, depending on your threshold of heat use sparingly)
Shredded Nori or 3 sheets of Nori julienned (dried seaweed)
1/4 of a Lime juice
Instant Japanese Rice or 1/4 Cup Japonica* (sticky rice)
Black sesame seeds (optional)
Nanami Togarashi & Tarako Furikake (Japanese seasoning, optional) to taste.
Squirt of Gourmet Garden Ginger Blend (tube of flavors in the produce section) or pickled ginger
Soy Sauce or Ponzu
**All ingredients can be found in the Asian section of your local supermarket or online**
1. In a a separate bowl add drained Tuna, mayo, chopped red onion, sriracha, masago, lime juice Nanami Togarashi & Tarako Furikake.
2. Microwave instant rice for 1 minute, or use Japonica read instructions*
3. Add rice to a high bowl, top with julienned carrots, cucumbers, green onions, avocados**, add tuna on top & nori.
4. Sprinkle sesame seeds, top with 1/2 tsp Masago, ginger & soy sauce.
* Japonica sushi grade sticky rice requires A LOT of care. This is not like regular long grain rice so please keep your eye on it, try to find the instant version.
** To keep avocado from browning squeeze lime juice to it, it also adds tons of flavor to your sushi bowl