Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
Why I Love This Recipe
This is a frequent ‘go to’ of mine! It is SO EASY and delicious. When I buy chicken, I separate and freeze 3 chicken breasts at a time, so I can easy make this any time I get in a pinch. I mean the only thing you have to do, is chop an onion! My kids always liked it too. If you haven’t ever made this, you should definitely try it!
Carol Greenia RHIT, CCS
Ingredients You'll Need
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
• 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
• 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
• 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
• 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
• sour cream (optional)
• crushed tortilla chips (optional)
1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.