Salmon Hobo Packs
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 lb. skinless salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup light-colored molasses
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
12 oz. green beans, or haricot verts (tender young green beans), ends trimmed
2 small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 Tbsp. coarse grain mustard
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh parsley, optional
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel, optional
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, optional
1. Sprinkle salmon lightly with salt and pepper; set aside. For glaze, in a small saucepan stir together molasses, brown sugar, and soy sauce*; heat just until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
2. Grill salmon directly over medium coals for 6 minutes; turn. Grill for 4 minutes; brush with molasses mixture. Grill for 2 to 4 minutes more or until fish flakes easily with fork, brushing occasionally with glaze. Remove from grill. Cut salmon into 8 pieces. Cover and refrigerate 4 of the portions.
3. Tear off four 36x18-inch sheets of heavy foil; fold in half to make 18-inch squares. In a bowl combine beans and squash; toss with mustard. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Divide evenly among foil sheets, placing vegetable mixture in the center. Place a salmon portion on each; spoon on any remaining glaze. Bring up two opposite edges of foil and seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges together to completely enclose, leaving space for steam to build.
4. Grill foil packets directly over medium coals for 20 minutes.
5. To serve, transfer salmon and vegetables from packets to dinner plates. Combine parsley, lemon peel, and the 1�4 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle on salmon. Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Two-thirds cup hoisin sauce may be substituted for the glaze.