"Italian side dish of deep fried rice with cheese."Serves 6 - 8 servings | Prep Time | Cook Time 1 hr and 30 minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
Rice balls are a popular italian side. Sometime we add some chopped meat and or peas in the center before cooking.
Ingredients You'll Need
1/3 cups parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups italian style bread crumbs
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
2 cups olive oil
1/2 to 1/3 cups mozzerella cheese cubbed.
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups of water
1. In a bowl mix together eggs, cheese, pepper and salt. Refigerate
2. Boil 2 cups of water with a little salt. Add rice, stir, cover and simmer until almost all the water is gone.
3. Remove rice from heat and gradually whicle stirring quickly add egg mixture. You don't want the egg to cook so you must stir quickly so it is incorporated in the rice.
4. Place rice in a bowl and refigerate for one hour.
5. Remove rice from refrigerator. Place breadcrumps in a flat dish. Dampen hands and shape rice into a ball about one inch. Roll in breadcrumps.
6. In a small deep skillet or deep frier, add oil until hot. Oil should cover the rice balls.
7. When oil is very hot, carefully place 4 to 5 rice balls into pan or frier one at a time until they are brown evenly on all sides. Turn if necessary.
8. Remove rice balls carefully from pan and place on a dish covered with paper towel. Serve while still how.
Pairs Well With
Can have tomato sauce on the side.