Pork and Lentil Cassoulet
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3/4 pound boneless pork shoulder
* 1 large onion, cut into wedges
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons cooking oil
* 2 1/2 cups water
* 1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
* 4 medium carrots and/or parsnips, sliced 1/2 inch thick (2 cups)
* 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
* 3/4 cup lentils
* 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
* 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
Trim fat from pork; cut meat into 3/4-inch cubes. In a large nonstick skillet brown pork, onion, and garlic in hot oil. Transfer mixture to a 3-1/2- to 4-quart electric crockery cooker; add water, undrained tomatoes, carrots or parsnips, celery, lentils, rosemary, bouillon granules, salt, and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours (12 hours if using the low-heat setting). Garnish with a fresh rosemary sprig, if desired. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Tip: Slice vegetables the night before; add seasonings. Cover and chill until ready to assemble in crockery cooker.