Meredith's Kaiserschmarrn (Emperor's Mess) is an Austrian pancake.
Why I Love This Recipe
After college my mom spent a good amount of time in Germany and Austria where she picked up this recipe. I grew up with my mom making this every Christmas for breakfast and I have continued this tradition today with our family. My daughter loves it so much she just asked if she could have this on her birthday in September
Ingredients You'll Need
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
4 egg yolks
2 oz confectioners' sugar
pinch of salt
2 - 1/2 oz melted butter (4 tbsp melted in pan x 2)
4 beaten stiff egg whites
* optional - raisins (soaked in brandy) 1/3 cup raisins, 3 tbsp brandy
* optional - orange juice
1. Blend all ingredients except for egg whites and raisins. This can be done by hand or blender.
2. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
3. Melt a large quantity of butter (4 tbsp) in an omelette pan (large) on top of the stove.
4. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the pan and sprinkle raisins. Brown the bottom until the texture is firm and turn over. This will probably be messy, don't worry. When the other side is brown (partially cooked) begin to tear it apart into small pieces with 2 forks. Continue to toss in the pan until all the batter is cooked and browned.
5. Place on a plate and sprinkle with sugar. Serve immediately.
6. Repeat with the 2nd half of the batter.
*Option sprinkle finished batter with orange juice prior to adding sugar.