Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and it was the first thing I tried from it. It's a chocolate hazelnut recipe for cupcakes. It is so delicious! It has a dollop of nutella in the centre, the cake is wonderfully moist and light and the icing is just perfect.
Ingredients You'll Need
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g butter, at room temp.
120ml milk (the recipe said whole milk, but I just used semi and they turned out okay!)
chopped hazelnuts to decorate
For the icing
250g icing sugar
80g butter, at room temp
25 ml milk
1. Preheat the oven to gas 3/170c/325f
2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix together. You can use an electric hand whisk for this. It should be a slightly sandy/grainy texture
3. Pour the milk into the mixture and mix. Then add the egg and beat until it's all incorporated.
4. Spoon the mixture into cupcakes cases in a muffin tin, filling to about halfway or 2/3 full. They rise quite a bit. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Leave to cool completely, then cut out a little circle in the cupcake. Pop the loose piece of cake out, insert a dollop of nutella, then put the cake piece back ontop so you have a filled cupcake.
For the icing
Mix all the above ingredients together until incorporated and continue mixing for about 5 minutes. The more mixing, the fluffier the icing! Use a palette knife to ice the cupcakes, then sprinkle with a bit of chopped hazelnut. Enjoy! (I did, as you can see!)