Gluten-Free Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf
Why I Love This Recipe
Try this quick, easy and delicious recipe as your first step in make-ahead meal prep, as well as to make the most of fall's harvest vegetables:
Ingredients You'll Need
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) Becel Buttery Taste margarine with simpler ingredients – no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives – made from blends of plant and seed oils
• 10 ounces (300 g) cremini mushrooms or white mushrooms, finely chopped
• 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) sweet onion, finely chopped
• 1 lb (500 g) lean ground turkey
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa, cooked according to package directions (about 1 cup cooked)
• 4 slices gluten-free sandwich bread, processed into crumbs
• 1 cup (250 mL) no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (176°C).
2. Melt margarine in large nonstick skillet and cook mushrooms, zucchini and onion, stirring occasionally until vegetables are starting to brown and tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
3. Combine mushroom mixture with ground turkey, cooked quinoa, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce, egg and pepper.
4. Form mixture into loaf and arrange in shallow roasting pan. Bake 40 minutes.
5. Blend remaining tomato sauce, brown sugar and salt in small bowl.
6. Brush top of loaf with tomato mixture and return to oven until meatloaf is thoroughly cooked, about 8 minutes.
Recipe tip: Cut the meatloaf into single-portion servings and store in plastic bags or containers to pack for lunch or prepare in a hurry.