Gajar Ka Halwa
"Carrot Pudding"Serves 4 | Prep Time 1 hour | Cook Time 1 hour
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is an Indian carrot pudding recipe. This pudding takes a while to make but the wait is worth it! Luckily, it does not take a lot of effort. It just needs to be on the stove for quite some time for everything to incorporate. I would recommend serving this hot. It keeps well for about 3-4 days in the fridge. It is great if you want to impress a few guests or if you are craving something sweet.
Note: to make vegan, use oil instead of ghee.
Ingredients You'll Need
1/2 kg carrots
4 ml milk (of your choice)
300 ml sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
few strands of saffron (optional but recommended)
few almonds (finely chopped)
few cashews (finely chopped)
4 tbsp ghee
1. Grate the carrots. Keep aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the sugar and water. Bring it to a boil and then let it cool down. Keep aside.
3. Warm 1 tbsp of the milk and add the saffron. Keep aside.
4. In a large pot, Add the grated carrots and the rest of the milk. Let it simmer on slow fire. Cook until the carrots have softened and 3/4 of the milk has evaporated.
5. Add the cardamom powder, nuts, saffron milk, sugar syrup and ghee. Let is simmer until all the liquid is evaporated. While simmering, mix at regular intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
5. Serve hot!
Pairs Well With
Vanilla Ice Cream