Easy Tomato Appetizer
Why I Love This Recipe
Especially good as a snack when the fresh tomatoes are coming in from the garden.
Ingredients You'll Need
6 slices bacon
4 medium ripe, firm, tomatoes, washed and cored
6 slices whole wheat or sourdough bread
2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make sure the rack is in the center of the oven.
2. Spread out bacon slices in the baking pan. Put on oven mitts and place pan in the oven. bake for 10 minutes, until crispy. Remove, wearing oven mitts, and place pan on a heatproof surface to cool. When the bacon has cooled remove with a fork and place on paper towel to drain excess grease.
3. When bacon is cool to the touch, crumble and set aside.
4. On a cutting board cut the tomatoes into thick slices with a utility knife.
5. Place the slices of bread on a cookie sheet Arrange two slices of tomato on each slice of bread, sprinkle bacon crumbs over the tomato and top with grated cheese.
6. Put on oven mitts and place cookie sheet in center of oven. Bake for approximately 7 minutes, until cheese. melts. Remove from oven, wearing oven mitts, and transfer to a cutting board using a spatula.
7. Cut each slice into thirds and serve.