Crumb Cake Muffins
Why I Love This Recipe
I was craving a sweet breakfast, but I didn't want one breakfast to undo an entire week's worth of conscientious eating. By making a few simple adjustments, I ended up with a muffin just sweet enough to satisfy my craving.
Ingredients You'll Need
For the topping:
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. packed light-brown sugar
2 TBSP finely chopped candied ginger
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 TBSP whole-wheat flour
2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
For the muffins:
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
1 TBSP sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. nonfat buttermilk
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c. canola oil
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
baking or cooking spray
1. In a medium bowl, make the topping by combining oats, brown sugar, ginger, flours, and melted butter. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a twelve-cup muffin tin with cooking or baking spray and set aside.
3. To make the muffins, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
4. Pour buttermilk, applesauce, and oil in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine. Stir into flour mixture until well combined.
5. Fold egg whites into the batter.
6. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. (I used a standard-sized scoop.) Sprinkle with a generous tablespoon of reserved topping, pressing gently to adhere topping to cake.
7. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan one a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.