Coconut Angel Food Cake
"If you love coconut, then this cake is for you!"Serves 12 | Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 45 minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
Coconut cake is so good, but it's only for the coconut lovers out there.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon CAKE FLOUR
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
12 large egg whites, room temperature
1 tbsp. warm water
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. pure coconut extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with rack in the lower third of oven.
2. Sift together flour and 3/4 cup sugar.
3. Beat egg whites and warm water with a mixer on low speed until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add cream of tartar, vanilla, salt, and coconut extract.
4. Increase speed to medium, and beat until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
5. With machine running, add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time. Increase speed to high, and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy, about 2 minutes.
6. Remove bowl from mixer.
7. Working in 3 batches, sift flour mixture over egg-white mixture, gently folding in each addition with a rubber spatula, being careful not to deflate egg whites.
8. Slowly pour batter into a 10-inch angel food cake pan.
9. Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when touched, 40 to 45 minutes.
10. Immediately from the oven, carefully invert pan onto a wire rack. Let cake cool in pan, about 1 hour.
11. Carefully run a knife around sides of cake to loosen, and turn out onto a large plate or cake stand.
Pairs Well With
Coconut whipped cream would be so delicious with this cake!