Chicken and Ziti Bake
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast -- cut into 1/4" strips
1 onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes -- (no salt added)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups ziti or penne pasta
2/3 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
1/3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese -- shredded
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Spray the same skillet with more nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring as needed, until the mixture is thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain and mix with the ricotta cheese.
5. Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 13X9" baking pan, layer with the ziti mixture, the chicken and the remaining tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the cheeses. Bake until hot and bubbling and the cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Serves 4.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -