Chicken Braised Picadillo-Style
Why I Love This Recipe
This is an original recipe written for my culinary program at the Institute of Culinary Education - I received an A as well as tested it in real life and it's really delicious! Enjoy :)
Ingredients You'll Need
Canola Oil as needed
Spanish onion, small dice 2 tablespoons
Cloves, whole, ground 2 each
Cinnamon, ground 1 teaspoon
Allspice, ground ½ teaspoon
Capers, drained 2 tablespoons
Green olives, drained, sliced 2 tablespoons
Golden raisins 2 tablespoons
Chicken, in 8 pieces, bone in, skin on 1 whole
Salt as needed
Pepper as needed
Chicken stock 1 quart/as needed
Butter 1 tablespoon
Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Put enough oil in the appropriately sized pan to coat the bottom only; bring the pan to medium-high heat.
3. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, place them in the hot pan and saute the pieces until they pick up a light golden color on all sides. Remove the chicken and hold to the side.
4. Add the onion and sweat until translucent without picking up any color.
5. Add in the cloves, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, capers, green olives, and raisins and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
6. Add the chicken pieces back to the pan in one layer.
7. Add cold chicken stock until it comes up ½ way to 2/3 up the side of the chicken. Slowly bring the stock to a simmer, around 185 degrees. Do not let the liquid boil.
8. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and move to the oven to finish cooking, until chicken is completely cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
9. Remove from the oven and remove chicken from the pan.
10. Strain the sauce and reserve the solid flavoring agents (raisins, capers, olives) to the side.
11. Place the pan over medium-high heat on the stove-top and reduce the strained sauce until it thickens and coats the back of a silver spoon.
12. Swirl in the butter (monte au beurre) until incorporated fully into the sauce.
13. Return the flavoring agents to the sauce, adjust seasoning with salt.
14. Sauce should be served over the chicken.