Quinoa Grapefruit Blueberry Breakfast
Why I Love This Recipe
During the cold and dark Canadian winter months, it's important to stay warm and well-nourished. Using in-season ingredients and produce is a simple way to brighten your winter blues and introduce authentic vitamin-rich flavour to your meals.
“Florida grapefruit reaches its best taste during the heart of winter, making it a great source of fresh, nutrient-rich fruit at a time when many others are not available,” says Emily Richards, Home Economist. “I like to add Florida grapefruit and its juice to salads, savoury dishes and snacks.”
Follow the recipe below from Emily to add Florida sunshine and a boost of energy to your blustery mornings. This refreshing breakfast combines hot quinoa with Florida grapefruit and blueberries for a new twist on breakfast.
Ingredients You'll Need
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) Florida grapefruit juice
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) quinoa, rinsed
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey or maple syrup
• Pinch salt
• 2 Florida ruby red grapefruit, segmented
• 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
• 1 cup (250 mL) 0% vanilla or plain yogurt
• Fresh mint leaves
1. In a small saucepan, combine grapefruit juice, water, quinoa and honey. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Stir in grapefruit and blueberries; divide into shallow bowls and top with yogurt. Garnish with mint to serve.