Mexican Chicken Salad
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
4 chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, divided
6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1½ tablespoons orange marmalade
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
8 corn tortillas
8 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
Salt and black pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 very large avocado, sliced
1 large head iceberg lettuce
Salad Dressing: (Whisk together all ingredients and chill.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoon honey
Early in day:
1. Prepare salad dressing.
2. Mix chili powder and salt; score breasts and rub with 1½ teaspoons of it.
3. Add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in skillet. Cook breast halves for 3 minutes on each side; remove, cool, cut into ½-inch strips, and chill.
4. Add marmalade and lime juice to skillet; mix with pan juices then remove and chill.
5. Cut tortillas into ½-strips and toss with remaining chili/salt mix.
6. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in the skillet. When hot, add tortilla strips and fry 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly until crisp. Drain on paper towels and cool well (NOT in refrigerator), spread out on paper towels. Seal in a baggie for now.
Later in day:
7. Layer salad ingredients in a large bowl in the following order:
Chopped green onions
8. Sprinkle top with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (do not mix).
9. Combine avocado slices and 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice in a separate bowl.
Shortly before serving:
10. Shred head of lettuce.
11. Put marmalade mix and chicken strips in a skillet; cook until glazed. Keep warm.
12. Add avocados to the large bowl and toss well. Add the salad dressing (add a small portion at first); toss and taste (add more dressing if needed).
13. To serve, spread a layer of shredded lettuce on each plate. Put salad mixture over the lettuce, lay chicken strips on top of salad, and then scatter tortilla strips over top of chicken strips