Fancy fish sticks
Why I Love This Recipe
Many of us have nostalgic or perhaps dreaded memories of eating fish sticks as youngsters. Turn this dish on its head by swapping out breadcrumbs for toasted pumpkin seeds. Not only is this a healthier option, but the addition of cumin and cayenne will provide an unexpected pop of flavour and delicious crunch and nuttiness.
Ingredients You'll Need
• 1 1/2 cup (360g) pumpkin seeds
• 1 tsp (5g) cumin seeds
• 1 tsp (5g) cayenne pepper
• Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
• 2 egg whites
• 1 kg fresh haddock fillets
• 1/4 cup (65ml) vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Toss pumpkin seeds with the cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper, spread out on a baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
3. Cool and pulse in a food processor until fine.
4. Season the haddock fillets with salt and pepper.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, dip the fillets into the whites and then coat in the pumpkin seed crust.
6. In a non-stick frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and sear for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown.
7. Finish in the oven for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
8. Pair with Molson Canadian 67 or other light beers. The lightness of the Molson Canadian 67 nicely balances the nuttiness from the pumpkin seeds and the spice from the cayenne and cumin